Young scholars focusing on quantum technologies and new functional materials, whose professional experience does not exceed 15 years after getting a Candidate of Sciences/PhD degree, are eligible to take part in the Competition.
The winners of the Competition will be hired full-time as Laboratory heads at HSE, which will become their primary place of employment for the period from June 10, 2019 to December 31, 2024. To continue working at HSE in 2025 and beyond under a tenure contact the Laboratory head may re-apply via the University's international recruitment programme as per the established procedure.
The leading researcher undertakes to:
- set up a research team for conducting research;
- serve as the academic supervisor of the laboratory;
- purchase the equipment and ensure its rational and reasonable use;
- formulate the lab’s research agenda;
- lead the lab's grant activities and attract external resources from field-specific organisations;
- blend the lab's operations with HSE educational processes and streamline the involvement of the University's (doctoral) students in the lab's operations.
Requirements to the laboratory’s staff throughout the entire project duration: the Laboratory’s staff shall include at least two Doctor of Sciences / Candidate of Sciences / PhD holders employed at HSE full-time (primary place of employment), as well as at least 3 HSE (doctoral) students.
Each project supported in the framework of the Competition will be financed as follows:
- up to 150 million roubles (including overhead charges, customs fees, delivery and set-up costs) will be allocated for the acquisition of research equipment in 2019-2020;
- salaries and other research-related expenses:
- up to 7 million roubles (gross) will be available in 2019; up to 50% of this amount may be allocated for the Laboratory staff wages (including the Laboratory head's and other team members' salaries and all social payments);
- up to 13 million roubles per year will be available in 2020 – 2024; 8-10 million roubles may be allocated for the Laboratory staff wages (including the Laboratory head's and other team members' salaries and all social payments) and 3-5 million roubles per year - for other expenses, including research mobility, expendables, equipment maintenance, etc.
All expenses related to setting up and equipping the Laboratory are not included in the annual budget and will be additionally covered by the University.
Laboratories established in the framework of the competition undertake to secure co-financing as follows:
in 2022 – at least 100% of total funds, provided by HSE;
in 2023 – at least 200% of total funds, provided by HSE;
in 2024 – at least 300% of total funds, provided by HSE.
An international expert review of the Laboratory’s operations in 2019 – 2024 will be conducted to verify the attainment of the proposed research outcomes and approved annual KPIs. Subject to successful completion of the review, the Lab may continue its operations. After that, an expert review of the Laboratory’s performance will be conducted every five years.
Candidates must send their full name, ORCID and research topic to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1, 2019.
The proposal should be submitted by email to email@example.com by April 01, 2019 and must include the following files:
- Proposal in English (Word file);
- Proposal in English (PDF file with the candidate’s scanned signature).
All proposals will be checked for compliance with the established requirements, as well as qualification requirements to the Laboratory out in the Regulations. Incomplete or improperly executed proposals will not be accepted.
Upon completion of the technical review, which is carried out to establish whether or not the competition proposals meet all competition requirements, they will be submitted to independent experts for review as per the established criteria.
Successful candidates will be invited for an interview by conference call, or in person (all expenses will be covered by the University). The time and place of the interview will be agreed by the parties.
Competition proposals submitted by the participants will not be returned and no peer reviews will be provided. All expenses related to the proposal submission should be covered by the participants.
The Competition results will be announced by May 30, 2019.